PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2011, 02:04
herkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As ex NCO aircrew C130 Loadmaster, I would like to share some results from me observing pilots who have graduated from flying school, but who have a long way to go before they can consider their learning curve has come up on line.

The ADF does not care whether you are an ace pilot or one who is working hard to learn They are looking for attitude and a desire to learn.

Many would be pilots fail because they have not learnt that at least in the Air Force they are looking for leaders first and I suspect that many fail because of lack of this ability and the desire to lead.

Some of the tantrums I have seen on this forum show a lack of maturity, and lack of being able to work through problems to enable missions to be completed. Did you ever stop to think that the reason, even though you may have passed through the first stage, that your application, is that the Air Force is suspects some short coming and is doing this, so you can prove by your actions whether you have it or not.

Someone who is good at problem solving may in actual fact , shine above someone who can fly well, but cannot show leadership and maturity Your methods of over coming what you see as short comings in the system, could make or break what other wise could have been a good application.

Remember well that just because you want it, the government is under no obligation to give you a job and if it does it is on their terms and not yours.

Good pilots are a plenty, and unless you want to spend your career as a senior FLTLT, then you will need to change.

I remember well a very junior pilot coming the bounce with a senior flight engineer, in front of the CO. I watched the W/O conduct himself with great dignity until the time it was for take off.

Out said the CO sit on the bunk. ENG hope in the right seat. ENG did the take off and hand flew the air plane to Laverton, with the CO taking control only on finals.

We had a flight deck debriefing where the CO did the talking and he said. Right now you are not very much use to us, you put the flaps up and down and the same with the gear, and we let you talk on the radio. If you are lucky you will make the grade but you have much to learn. I have been in the Air Force for 25 years and I still do not know as much as the W/O does.

The W/O was one of the simulator instructors and actually had more simulator hours as a pilot than the new co pilot.

The lesson is to use the power of reason and be flexable enough to try another tack if things are not going the way that the like.

For all you know this lass could be doing what she is told, with a bunch of selectors looking over he shoulders for your reaction, and you are sitting there like a a school boy spitting the dummy. You need to change direction or the system will catch you out, think about how I have this problem how am I going to overcome this problem as my efforts right now are good good enough.

I wish you all the best and hope that maybe I have opened your eyes on how to overcome the problem. Show maturity and leadership and you will quickly move up the line.

All the best Col