PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DJ Turboprops announced in Skywest tie up
Old 14th Jan 2011, 09:56
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great to see some robust discussion on the prune.

G'day captwawa, I've seen more than one group certificates that indicate more than 140k (allowances not counted of course). Ultimately though it involves callouts and OT which seems there is plenty of in a growing company. So you are right but I don't think its a rarity.

ORACLE an interesting read. For your information I don't se it as all beer and skittles either but try not to be the doomsdayer always and sometimes can come across this way. Newbies read and I don't want to fill their minds with too much of my learned negativity!

My main concern is this:
Skywest need to recruit 180 to 216 new pilots.
The time frame is concerning even though it will be gradual. This is a massive undertaking. East Coast bases, new type and quadruple the pilot group. Its a BIG ask.

I think if current F50 conditions are offered, REX will lose pilots and Qlink may depending on bases. The big question is: Will the job mean a foot in the door at VB? If it does, like it is at VA (no guarantee but better than nothing at the moment) then this will attract even more. I wouldn't expect conditions to be more than the XR EBA perhaps they may even be less.

I don't see REX as a formidable competitor. Why? Yes their cost base is nearly unbeatable. That is when no jobs are going. When jobs are going they loose pilots quicker than anyone in the country. Its no surprise that the companies where the conditions are the lowest are the companies that loose pilots the quickest. How many left QF and VB in the last 12 months? How many left the old Skywest? So loosing pilots is costly. I know they see us as just replaceable but it all adds up. Of course the cry foul will come out like in the magical 07. The key to the entire thing will be conditions which is purely what controls quantity and thus quality of applicants. It only takes one stuff up and the whole shooting match is over.

Cadets you say? Good luck Captains I say.