PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown Procedures
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2011, 07:36
Dick Smith

Received 68 Likes on 27 Posts
Williamtown Procedures

Tried to fly up the Willy coastal lane today in the Agusta. First time in about 12 months. What a totally amateurish system. I have said in the past that the Controllers are as good as any in the world however their leadership is non existent. Still using 1950's procedures.

Cloud was 2800' scattered with 10km+ visibility. Visual approaches for 12 announced on the ATIS.

After calling at Nobbies at 500' I was given a clearance with a limit of Stockton bridge - then instructed to hold at the wreck. Soon after another VFR aircraft requested a clearance but was told to hold at Nobbies.

The problem? I think it was caused by an air ambulance aircraft on approach to 12.

In five flights around the world I have never experienced a similar situation other than in Australia-twice in fact. - once at Darwin and once at Williamtown.

In other countries the tower controls the airspace to the control boundary at low levels fo obvious reasons.

Or if you are in C in visual conditions under radar they use target resolution procedures.

But not in Australia. We managed to get Tower Airspace in at Canberra and it works really well but their has never ever been anyone in the Military ATC non decision makers to make a decision.

The military ATC 's are treated as if they are irresponsible children and not allowed to make judgements that ATC 's in other countries make dozens of time a day.No wonder they have difficulty in getting enough recruits here.

If I was in the Military I would have a really low morale as it's obvious that only the incompetents get into high positions. There is clearly no one with the leadership ability to make sure the coalface personal have the most modern and safest procedures.

It's the same level of competence that made the $1.2billion Super Seasprite stuff up