PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2011, 14:05
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a route with 70 flights per day is not a route struggling for business.
Odd that BA walked away from the Republic of Ireland completely. Lots of business there, they weren't making money. I've been flying domestically out of GLA since 1991, I'm not unfamiliar with the market. It has been apparent of late, that the market was under serious pressure. I do this for a living, it's not escaped my notice.

EDI-LCY is perhaps the honourable exception. You seem very sure to dismiss this. A clear and ongoing cutback on capacity has been apparent on bmi's whole BD coded short haul network. It's not as if they're adding capcity and frequency into this apparent goldmine. I agree with you, it seems an unlikely withdrawal on the face of it given the connections. SAS can connect through GLA-CPH on BMR and Air Canada are no strangers to GLA. It may be that LH would prefer LH to feed somewhere more German. We shall see.

You dismissed my Ryanair point. Odd that they have seen a TEN daily Glasgow PIK-London service collapse to a single daily rotation with the threat of the axe yet you exepct GLA-LHR on BMI to be a good moneymaker. I would bet that the dedicated A319 would more being redeployed on a route that DIDN'T have 70 flights a day. I recall when they had two B737s on the route. One did
BD1 / 2 / 5 / 6 / 9 / 10 / 13 / 14
BD16 / 3 / 4 / 7 / 8 / 11 / 12 / 15.

God I'm getting old. Mind you, it used to cost three times as much in real terms.