PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 21 Year old Girl youngest ATR Captain
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2011, 20:29
A380 Jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummm....not true please!

You've got to be joking!!
I know an Indian boy who got his CPL from Canada on his 17th birthday. He had completed his CPL requirments 2 months before his 17th birthday and had to wait for his birthday to be officially presented the licence. I believe it was a huge event cause the then Prime Minister of Canada(Mooroey,I think) himself presented this lad with the well deserved licence.There was some TV footage too, at that point in time. I do believe this was an all time record!
This young lad went on to fly for Indian Airlines, I think. The reason I know this is that I flew him and his dad way back mebbe in 1983/84 from Toronto to London whilst they were returning back from all the stars and jingles after his son had completed his Cpl and the presentation. And his old man was so proud of his son that he actually requested permission to enter the flight deck enroute and during the course of the conversation, actually showed me the TV footage of his son recieving the award,on his handy mobile VHS video camera! And then went on to narrate the boy's history. Apparently,the father too was a pilot then. And the boy had done his O levels too at some ridicolusly young age(13 or so me thinks....). My F/O and F/E were suitably impressed too with this proud father's enthusiastic son and his phenomenol achievements. If my memory serves me right,the old man was a pilot with Air India. I kept very fond relationships with the family for a few years after which time and tide washed it all away. They were based in the then city of Bombay,now Mumbai....
Have no idea what happened to the young lad,but i'm quite certain he must have gone out and made a mark for himself in the world of aviation. Would be very interesting to know though....
And mind you, this was way back in '83/'84. When the average Cpl age was in the early 30's and the 'younger' ones made it at best in their late 20's.
So it was definitely an achievement of sorts...