PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted Security -Plastic Bag "Advisory"
Old 8th Jan 2011, 18:09
BillS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"and the bag must be sealed"
Originally Posted by strake
BillS. Where does it "clearly state" what you wrote above?
STN airport guide - security
Liquids

Some liquids (e.g. gels, lotions, pastes, liquid cosmetics, foams and foodstuffs) are now allowed through airport security check points. There are the following restrictions on the quantity of liquids:

Liquids may only be carried within separate containers each of which with a capacity not greater than 100ml.
These containers must be brought to the airport contained in a single, transparent, re-sealable plastic bag, which itself must not exceed 1 litre in capacity (approximately 20cms x 20cms). The contents of the plastic bag must fit comfortably and the bag must be sealed.
Each passenger may carry only one such bag of liquids. The bag must be presented for examination.
Liquids that can not be placed inside the re-sealable bag must be packed into the hold luggage and checked in. Liquids of any amount can still be carried in luggage checked into the aircraft hold.
@joao
Many thanks for those OE definitions - exactly my point.

A "zipper" of the type depicted in the first image of my post (and I did say "if" that was the type used) would not "seal" the bag. It would not prevent any liquid leakage.
The ziploc "zipper" (TM) or "smart zip" would, if sealed, prevent liquid loss.

Certain fluids leaking within security equipment could compromise its effectiveness. I can understand why they might insist upon a sealed bag as defined in the OE dictionary - rendered impervious to liquids - not allowing liquid to pass through.

Not bolleaux - just English, I'm afraid!

There are many things very wrong with UK airport security and its implementation - but lets pick the issues that are wrong.