PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2011, 18:02
CliveL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M2Dude
, it was just a shame that's all, that the Type 28 never fully lived up to its promise and potential.

One little unique point about 102; she flew with a different intake control system to any other Concorde, being an 'improved' Ultra Electronics analog system. (Although the intake itself was aerodynamically the same as the later aircraft). Never really understood why our French friends chose this particular path with this aircraft. (Perhaps CliveL can shed some light on this??)
I don't think I agree with you Dude. We 'did' the performance calculations at Filton, and I honestly don't remember any performance shortfall. If you are just talking system reliability then OK, I wouldn't know.

One of the things I like about this thread is the way in which it reminds me of things I had forgotten about the design phase - or in this case informs me of things I maybe never knew! I just do not remember any improved Ultra AICU design. So far as the French 'choice' on the matter, they probably weren't given one. Like the rear fuselage alterations referred to in another posting , it was all a matter of timing. 102 came after 101 so 102 got the lengthened rear fuselage (which was done to improve the 'area rule' distribution and gave about 2.5% drag reduction). We (BAC) were going to do the AICU development so it made sense for 101 to get the early hybrid units. [If you were cynical you might equally say that there was no way we were going to let AS have them first!].

CliveL