PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Fighter pilot in FFA, or heli
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2011, 09:09
Torque Tonight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should be aware that following the recent withdrawal of the Harrier, the Fleet Air Arm (FAA) has no fast jets, a situation that will persist for some time to come. Therefore, if you are set on being a fast-jet pilot then the RAF is the only way to go. That said, military helicopter pilots have more fun, so don't discount the other streams, and RAF, FAA and Army Air Corps (AAC) all operate helicopters.

You need to do some research yourself (eg visit a recruiting office and ask some questions) but I am pretty sure that laser eye surgery is a disqualifier from joining the forces as a pilot. Before you make any life decisions check this at source, not just on some internet forum. If I am correct then you may choose not to have the surgery, apply anyway and have your eyesight assessed in a military aircrew medical. That is the only way you will really get a definitive answer. Unfortunately, if your eyesight is so bad that surgery seems like a viable option, then I expect that military aviation will not be open to you at all.

In that case, you may want to consider civil aviation. Your first action must be to undertake a Class 1 medical. If you fail that on eyesight then I believe that laser correction is acceptable. If you cannot achieve a Class 1 medical at all, the professional aviation will not be the career for you (although you may be able to fly privately for fun on a lesser license). If you do get a Class 1 medical, then you need to start doing a lot of research about whether pursuing a career in civil aviation is a wise move. There is plenty of information on pprune to help your research.

Finally, it's great that your maths and physics are strong - these are important subjects. Try to work on your English: capital letters and punctuation are also important. You will be judged on it by those who make recruiting decisions. You want to give yourself the best possible chance.