PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2010, 22:03
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Landroger
Between you, you have just about created a 'flash time machine'. An instant image of a real day and a real moment. I'll admit that though I looked at Bellerophon's picture with some care, it was only by reading his text that the image began to make some sense. Then along comes Exwok, casts his eyes over the image and suddenly we are squinting in the glare of high altitude sunlight and listening to the sound of the machine as she arcs across the sky, entirely comfortable with her environment and eye watering pace. Thank you both.
There's often so much so deeply buried in our memories, that we don't even know about it anymore until something, like an image, brings it all back in a flash.
To most people, a Concorde cockpit is just a bewildering array of 'clocks' and other bits.
People like Bellerophon and Exwok read it all in seconds.
Even an ancient like me, seeing a cockpit photo, instantly recognises a museum photo, because of the toppled emergency horizon, or because of the odd bits and pieces we used on the autopilot controller on G-AXDN (01).

..only 97 people have flown Concorde including two women?
Yes, two women. One in France, one in Britain.
Unless you also include Jacqueline Auriol, probably the world's first female test pilot, who flew Concorde 001 in the earliest days.

It is clear from this fabulous thread that the passing of Concorde has left an aching void in the lives of the contributors here.
Maybe, and maybe not.
Speaking for myself, no, it's not a void, it's a highlight, that I now like passing on, in the hope other generations will find inspiration in the 'Concorde Story' for their own endeavours.

Christian