PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B, Stuff that I have found.
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2010, 02:53
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OZ, etc,
Code saturation is a red herring!
Who am I (or you) to argue with Mitre Corp analysis. I accept the concerns expressed, obviously you do not.

As the expert, you can probably also tell us why the potential for ADS-B In (if it ever happens) is to offload the 1090 spectrum, a completely different issue to code saturation. We are all ( well, most of us) know that the 24bit Mode S identifier give far more identifiers than 4096 (to say the very least) but that does not seem to answer the FAA/Mitre/Lincoln Labs. concerns.

UAT is a datalink
Well, stone me, what a revelation, who'd a' thunk it!!

1090ES is one way traffic back to TAAATS...UAT requires a dedicated ----
For "ADS-B Out" ---- izzatso?? UAT ADS-B Out can be one way traffic?? Seeing that the output of the Thales boxes as a receiver, back to the center (however far that might be) carries both the 1090ES and UAT data, are you trying to say that the FAA setup requires two separate "cables" from the one ground station to the center computers, one to carry the 1909ES data, and a completely separate datalink to carry the UAT data. And none of this UAT data can be carried from the Thales (essentially the same box as Airservices) ground station over a satcom link??

Prove it, and I will believe you !!

In the US GA on UAT will also have to carry an operating mode AC transponder not as a back up but to make the plane visible to the rest of the poor sods flying in the same airspace with TCAS...1090ES does not suffer from that issue.
Ah!! The problems of "separated by a common language".

Strange how the FAA don't regard the "aircraft to aircraft" case as particularly critical, and yet, here in Australia, you would think we had a massive safety problem with mid airs, and ADS-B was the answer to this maiden's prayer.

I rather think FAA and Eurocontrol know what they are doing, the fact remains that neither are proposing the "mandate" that is proposed here in Australia, with it's highly likely outcome of seriously limiting the activities of a large proportion of sports and recreational aviation ---- for no good reason.

Tootle pip!!.

Re. direct tracking, let me quote a few more ( where QF has not been for a long, long time, if ever) ---- direct tracking examples --- that are the norm, not the exception ---- along the east of the US (Miami, Atlanta, Dallas/Fort Worth, as well as KJFK to the North Atlantic MNPS gateways. Maybe the new generation QF don't ask, ask and ye shall receive ---- most of the time.

Strange as it may seem to some of you, my aviation activities in N. America have not been limited to QF routes or aircraft.

I must say that, in the G.O.Ds, before inertial, I ( as were most of us) was always impressed by ATC's ability to give us vectors that were as good as direct tracking, sometime the same vector good for an hour or more ----- to save zigzagging along VOR airways.