PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Human Factors incidents
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2010, 15:09
PCars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S76H,

How to focus everyone's attention back on the basics....hmmm:

The basics being - following company policies and procedure. If your companies' standard procedures been followed, the incidents wouldn't have occurred.

The focus being - deliberate, precise, coordinated actions by crew members, most of which should be routine.

I would look for small indicators that in and of themselves have very little impact, but when added together cause a non-compliance atmosphere. I will start a list and see if other ppruners can add to it from their experience:

-Showing up late and doing rushed work.
-Surfing the web/chatting/texting during preflight routines.
-Gossip about coworkers, especially which is negative toward those who do comply with procedure.
-Reading non-aviation material during work periods.
-No mentoring/feedback/detailed briefing or debriefing.

This partial list will help you get started thinking about the work culture as it is carried out day-to-day in your shop. Tell management your plan is to chip away at these to evolve into a better compliance culture. Also that you plan to recognize/elevate those that have a rock solid record of compliance. Also tell them that events naturally clump into groups and are not evenly spaced. There is probably evidence of this in your company such as no events occurred in the six months prior to when the clump first began.

Be aware of the downside of this approach. Whoever tolerated this decay of standards may be asked to step down. I know it's a movie and it's not a direct comparison, but for inspiration take another look at '12 O'clock High' with Gregory Peck. It will probably hit closer to the mark than academic HF papers/studies.

Regards,
Pcars