PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation Bogie raises it's head yet again
Old 28th Dec 2010, 06:07
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder how many other nations this applies to also and if the bean counters have their way then it could happen elsewhere.
Indian aviation is a constant source of entertaining issues, such as widespread logbook fraud.

It's not a "beancounter" issue. No airline attempts to save money by failing to train it's crews on aircraft systems (including automation). It doesn't cost any more; there's nothing to be saved by not emphasizing full useage. Indian aviation has never been the gold standard for training, competence, veracity, honesty, or transparency. In a country where everybody in the business likes to call themselves "commander this," or "colonel that," "wing commander," "air commander, or some other ridiculous and pretentious title, you have a cultural issue, not an accounting one.

The thread is about over-reliance on automation, not about lack of training in it. The problem, if indeed such is the case, isn't lack of training in automation, but if anything not enough emphasis on basic raw flying skills. This may be owing in some cases to operators that insist on the maximum usage of automation to provide the smoothest flight for passengers, to some pilots who simply use it more out of preference or habit.

A change that I noted during my last recurrent session was that we've eliminated the requirement to conduct a raw data approach during the checkride. This wasn't an economic issue, but a change incorporated by the FAA to reflect real-world conditions; new procedures were added with changes in additional authorizations. No training costs were saved, but changes were incorporated. Personally, I'd prefer to see us retain the raw data procedures, but it's not my call. It's not the "beancounter's" call, either.

"Beancounters" don't run training departments.