PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let Me Tell You What Is Going To Happen To Qantas....
Old 19th Dec 2010, 22:00
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
It ain't just Qantas. It's any airline that outsourced core functions. As for "Asian Mega Carriers" that is marketing hype that has been repeated at least Seven times since 1935. You do not want to "be part of it" whatever that means. The Asians will skin you alive.

I keep hearing these wonderful strategic mismanagement ideas every few years. Recently we had "Asian Tiger Economies", then there was the "Celtic Tiger". They are now as dead as the Tasmanian Tiger.

Asia has been trumpeted as a "huge growth opportunity" to westerners at least seven times since 1935 by my old dads reckoning he traded in Asia since 1935.

The line is always the same "X zillion Chinese, you sell to ten percent of population, you make lot of money!". Time after time Western businessmen have put their investment and technology in and vastly overcommitted themselves. Then the joint venture goes bad or something else happens. The investment is always lost, as is the technology. One guy I know lost everything and committed suicide.

There is no effing way Qantas or anyone else is going to "be part of it" and walk away with any share of the profits. Nobody gets to profit from the Chinese except other Chinese.. There is no skill or capability Qantas has that would be of the slightest interest to China that is not already available to them elsewhere as far as I can tell.

Please don't kid yourself about China. You will just become another of a long line that have had their fingers badly burnt.