PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Liberalizing medical requirements
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2010, 09:24
OYPJN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like good news for me. Have been waiting for this for a LONG time!!! The limit on diopter has been lifted in EASA's opinions regarding 2008-17C.

EASA - Opinions

Applicants with:
(1) astigmatism;
(2) anisometropia;
may be assessed as fit subject to satisfactory ophthalmic evaluation.

Distant visual acuity, with or without correction, shall be:
(1) in the case of class 1 medical certificates, 6/9 (0,7) or better in each eye separately and visual acuity with both eyes shall be 6/6 (1,0) or better;

(i) Applicants with diplopia shall be assessed as unfit.
(j) Spectacles and contact lenses. If satisfactory visual function is achieved only with the use of correction:
(1) (i) for distant vision, spectacles or contact lenses shall be worn whilst exercising the privileges of the applicable licence(s);
(ii) for near vision, a pair of spectacles for near use shall be kept available during the exercise of the privileges of the licence;
(2) a spare set of similarly correcting spectacles shall be readily available for immediate use whilst exercising the privileges of the applicable licence(s);
(3) the correction shall provide optimal visual function, be well-tolerated and suitable for aviation purposes;
(4) if contact lenses are worn, they shall be for distant vision, monofocal, non-tinted and well tolerated;
(5) applicants with a large refractive error shall use contact lenses or high-index spectacle lenses;
(6) no more than one pair of spectacles shall be used to meet the visual requirements; (7) orthokeratologicallensesshallnotbeused.

Stil some way to go until implementation, but its great news. Probably sometime in 2012