PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jandakot, Western Australia flight school recommendations for PPL
Old 6th Dec 2010, 23:41
jamliner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jandakot, Western Australia flight school recommendations for PPL

Hi,

I am new to this forum, so any help/recommendations on finding a 'recommended' flying school at Jandakot, Perth, Western Australia would be greatly appreciated.

I have looked around the schools, trying to do my research as much as I can. So far I have been impressed with Minnovation after speaking with the chief flying instructor and going on a trial flight with the flying school.

To follow on from this, I am not entirely sure why but I then checked out RACWA, again going on a trial flight. Had great experience on the trial flight with a fantastic instructor. Because of this I thought I had made my mind up and later popped into RACWA to sign up. After signing up and requesting the same instructor that I had for my trial flight I was then advised that they would not be available and I would have to have someone else. Typically a young 'just passed their instructors course' flying instructor appears, aviator sunglasses en all.

Now I have read that I had the choice as a student pilot and as a 'customer' to pick and choose who I wanted to instruct me through my PPL and later on to my CPL. But after having a somewhat strange conversation with another senior flying instructor at RACWA whilst signing up, they advised I couldn't shop around so to speak and their rather hardline approach unfortunately put me off RACWA. So leaving me a little surprised, and well it further implanted some hesitation on whether I was learning with the right school in my mind now, typically after I had parted with a few thousand dollars having signed up as well. So all of this has lead me here, to ask this question and hopefully get some much needed advice.

I am now thinking, do I have the right to change flying instructors based on my personal preference, as I know who I would like to have instruct me but concerned that Jandakot and Perth as a whole is such a small place, so wouldn't want to make a bad name for myself as a nuisance having only just started out? In addition am I paying too much anyway with RACWA ($280 per lesson, including briefing) or is this a reasonable amount to pay over at Jandakot?

Again I would greatly appreciate anyones recommendations, previous experiences and advice on how much I should expect to pay for my lessons having just (effective controls) started at the RACWA flying school.

Perhaps I should re post my question. Can anyone please advise whether $290 per hour is a reasonable amount to pay for a 1 hr lesson.

Having read through many other forum members posts, it appears $290 is a reasonable amount against the competition over at Jandakot.

Many thanks,

J