PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2010, 16:16
bast0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chugaz

I cannot but wonder how your homespun philosophy would have dealt with that if it were fitted to your Wessex in Borneo bastOn. Even the stopwatch, charts and furled umbrella might not have prevailed I suspect.
You have been looking in my logbook again!

Seriously though, you have a point. The Wx 5 was the first, (I think), with computer controlled engines with no manual backup. God knows if digital came into it but I suspect not! It gave untold problems to start with, especially when it was moved to the hot and humid. Runaway ups and downs, undemanded shut downs linked to the IGV actuators, inabiltity to re-start when hot, et all. Some people cocked it up but it was an amazingly forgiving aircaft having a surfeit of power when on single engine. Even so mis-handling of computer emergencies certainly caused one fatal crash to my knowledge, and there may have been more.

Yes FADEC may well have contributed to this one - mis-handled - uncontrollable - who knows, and I have never claimed to in spite of your assertion. Never mind - must go and re-fish oil my Wanchai burberry..........