PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diversions
Thread: Diversions
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 15:27
Nicholas49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering what happens in the following scenario? The example I give is for easyJet.

Imagine you have a flight from Gatwick to Paris. If the return flight departs to London and then Gatwick closes while the flight is underway, the flight diverts to an alternate airport (probably Luton or Stansted seeing as these are both easy bases). Right?

But if LGW closes just before the return flight departs, could you still depart anyway and change the destination, informing the passengers that they're now going to Luton/Stansted? I imagine this would benefit many passengers in that they'd arrive at another London airport rather than remaining stranded in Paris. Does this happen?

Also, if you are Gatwick-based easyJet crew and you divert to Luton/Stansted, do you have to make your own way home across London? Or does the company put you up in a hotel at the diversion airport because they are going to need you to re-position the aircraft back to Gatwick when it re-opens (i.e. today, Friday)?

I appreciate there are many considerations and variables here, as BOAC says, but I wondered if a professional pilot could explain a little what happens in the above scenario?

Last edited by Nicholas49; 3rd Dec 2010 at 16:41. Reason: Since Gatwick re-opened this morning, I imagine some aircraft are being re-positioned now?