PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 05:52
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be getting there about the first of February.
Hopefully the permit situation is sorted by then.

Had a thought. Is there anything that people there can't get from the US that they want/need? Maybe as bribes for the on-line pilots? Maybe something that the locals might pay dearly for?

I'm going in to renew my medical this month. I have not found any information about the medical requirements for Botswana or Namibia, other than you have to have one, I'm wondering if a 2nd class medical is sufficient. Can anyone answer that for me?

I'm also getting a flight review done in the next few weeks, and I was wondering how important 206 time really is. I have almost 200 of my 270 hours in Cessnas, 27 in 182s, 50 high performance, and 50 retract. The only 206 I can find within 800km is USD 300 / hour plus USD 50 for the instructor, whereas I can rent a 172 for my review for less than USD 100 and USD 40 for the instructor. (I know, I know, the number of hours is not as important as the attitude and ability, however I'm trying to get a feel for whether I should do 1.5 hours in a 206, or 5 in a 172 to "freshen" up before coming, been out of work for a while so I haven't flown in over a year)

And lastly, if anyone has a plane they want ferried from the US to southern Africa, please let me know, and if we can get insurance sorted, you could get the plane ferried for the cost of the fuel... (this is kind of a pipe-dream, since I've not flown across the pond, and combined with not flying in the past year, it'd probably be difficult to get insured for the trip, but hey, you never know)

Does anyone have any info on getting back and forth between Windhoek and Maun? It seems to me that there's a possibility that the timing is such that one should go back and forth between the two, but I'm not sure. Do you have to speak German to work at all the operators in Swakopmund and Windhoek? or just some of them?
I mean, if there are possible jobs in all three towns / cities, why not have one of us sit in each city with a phone and call the rest when the jobs open up...? or has someone already thought of this?

How many of the 30 that are there now are going to be there for another two months? How many will go home if they don't get work during that time?

I am looking forward to exploring southern Africa, as much as I can. And meeting any/all pilots who want to have a chat and maybe a drink. I'd love to hear your stories and learn whatever I can.