PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 21:07
Tandemrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ploughing on - thumb in bum - in worsening weather/vis/snow/turbulence et all relying on the dodgy black boxes that the crew knew about does not seem to me to be a sensible course of action
Interesting work of fiction, demonstrating a modicum of literary flair.

Anybody interested in returning to what we can (or cannot) establish as matters of indisputable fact?

May I start the ball rolling? How about if we ALL agree that:

1) ZD576 spent much of it's transit of the Irish sea in VFR

2) Non of the handful of witnesses standing on the Mull of Kintyre describe the weather as anything other than thick (occasionally patchy?) fog. All were at altitudes some way above sea level.

3) AAIB could not positively determine the pre-impact serviceability of ZD576.

4) ZD576 impacted rising terrain at very (relatively) high speed.

5) A computer model suggests a possible manoeuvre in the 3 secs prior to impact which could explain the parameters exhibited by ZD576 at the moment of impact.

6) No voice or flight data records exist of actions or inactions in the cockpit of ZD576 at any time during the fatal flight, save the briefest of snippets from the navigation computer, which was never designed to provide historical data.

7) There were no survivors. Nor eyewitnesses, save a yachtsman, from the moment the aircraft coasted out from NI until some time after impact.

For our purposes I suggests we set to one side, the serious airworthiness issues.

Anyone care to disagree with any of these points? Or take them further? Or add other hard FACTS?

If anyone can marshal a set of facts which leads to a completely inevitable conclusion, with no possible alternatives, then we may be able to get somewhere???

Gentlemen (ladies?): Over to you.

Otherwise, tragically we may just have to accept, whilst we can have our own opinions, the available facts don't allow us to be certain.

Regards

Last edited by Tandemrotor; 2nd Dec 2010 at 21:27.