PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft down in residential area of Karachi?
Old 1st Dec 2010, 18:44
Montrealguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply. The first Boeing report only covers "Western" built aircraft of the world, and as you pointed out, it compares Canada and the US to the rest of the world, which includes western Europe.

One good thing about that report, is that it reports accidents per million departures, rather than per 100,000 hours of flight which shows the more accident prone aircraft vs the safer ones. The older ones which had their heydays in the 60s (DC-8/707) being more accident prone than newer models (757/A-330)

As for the Aviation Safety Network, its precisely where I took the information I posted earlier on this thread, the 2010 and 2009 fatal accident statistics by type. Of course, these do not reflect the actual numbers of such aircraft in service, nor do they reflect the actual hours that these aircraft fly.

But if one looks at the sheer number of aircraft built vs th numbers that are crashing, it gives a good if not perfect insight.. Lets take the An-12 which is the Soviet equivalent to the C-130. 140 were lost to accidents out of a production of 1243 so a little over 11%
The Herc saw 335 crashes out of a production of 2159 so about 15%. Are we claiming that the mostly military Air Force operated An-12s flew much less than the mostly military and Air Force operated C-130s ?

The An-24/26/30/32 family of tactical aircraft (they are all different versions of the same airframe) saw a production run of 3215 aircraft, out of which 327 were lost in crashes, which is about 10%. What can we compare it with? The F-27/FH-227/F-50 family also saw a lot of military service. Out of a total production of 1206, 236 were lost in accidents, almost 20%. The DeHavilland Caribou/Buffalo family is a good compare, a tactical airlifter of about the same size. Out of a total production of 443, 103 crashed, over 23%.

The IL-76 now, since this article is about that machine after all. About 940 were built, and 60 were lost in accidents, a little over 6%.

So I know my figures are not perfect, but that is what the data you pointed to shows. If anyone can provide DATA, not prejudice or pre-conceptions based on prejudice, I'd like to hear from you.

Yes there are tons of shady operators out there that operate aircraft in a reckless way, and there are plenty of Soviet-built aircraft that can be had cheap in the world and which are in high demand on the charter market. I have found on the internet, "flyable" (which does not mean airworthy) IL-76s for half a million dollars or less. An-12s for even less. But when these same machines are operated by reputable operators like Volga-Dnepr (An-124, IL-76) or Antonov Airlines (An-124, An-12), which fly these machines around the clock, I think that these machines are just as safe and reliable as any "western" built machines.