PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2010, 20:07
bast0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seldom

Not rude at all.

The detailed planning of the Mission has never been criticised by BOI, Reviewing Officers, HOL etc etc.
No - but I understand from posts previous that they were unhappy with the aircraft but still they flew it. This lays responsibility upon them.

Also, if as I stated more time ago than I care to remember the basics of flying towards a coast in uncertain weather do not seem to have been followed. DR nav/ stopwatch etc etc etc as an adjunct to all the whizzie kit that we did not have. I will not bore you further on that score.

If the weather was as advertised by some posters - but not by those on the scene,(do you believe a yachtie or a qualified met chap?), they clearly did not do a good job of avoiding the rock whilst in VMC.

It seems that some of you seem to think that they were in VMC with engine power matched at cruise settings and flew straight into a rock. I find that view untenable. I think that they did not know where they were for reasons unknown, and plowed on into that treacherous mist/haze where you are in and out of it so often that you keep going in the belief that things will get better and you will soon see what you expect to see.

I have been there and I suspect many of you have.