PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Training and Relationships
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2010, 23:34
SkyHighSonar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Training and Relationships

Hi chaps,

I have been an avid backseat reader of these forums for the past 6 months or so, as I too am potentially yet another lamb in the queue at the slaughterhouse (or, at least, so some seem to suggest). That said, this is not why I've finally decided to break the ice.

My question relates more specifically to the life you leave at home, so in a sense I suspect it may be those who have "come out the other side" who can advise here.

I am 24, recently graduated from university, and have been employed in a job I categorically detest for just over a year. I have always loved flying and know that, regardless of the plethora of deterrents I have read across this forum, it is what I want to do with my life. Based on that alone, you might appreciate that I would not find it hard to take the leap.

Now to the inevitable "but" (and I will be as blunt as possible). I have a girlfriend of well over 2 years. We have lived together for most of that time, are extremely happy and I really do not want to put an expiry date on it should I have to move away. I am ever the optimist and know that I wouldn't find long distance stuff too hard, however I have no idea how far that sentiment is reciprocated. How have you coped with moving away from similar situations? Are there any success stories at all?

I am of course realistic - I spoke to a very nice chap down at Bournemouth this year with CTC who mentioned a fairly harrowing statistic about the "break-up rate", so whilst I am well aware of the typical outcome, I suppose that statistic is also my reason for posting.

I am also aware, of course, that this pales into insignificance for some when juxtaposed with debts, jobs (or lack of) and so on - so to those I apologise, although I am certain I am not the only one in this position. This is just a big deciding factor for me.

In any case, thanks for reading.

SHS