PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3rd rate force?
Thread: 3rd rate force?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2010, 10:33
Jimlad1

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Didnt read the article as I dont have a ST subscription.

Actually your point merely serves how innacurate the article is - the list looks like its using UK front line squadron strength, but then lists it against full fleet strength for other nations. (According to Wiki we have 82 Typhoons in service at present with 160 in total planned)

As I noted - Belgian has got about 60 F16s, but only about 16-20 of them are in front line available service at any time. Similarly, it compares us to Sweden, but the Swedes have got 130 odd fighters in their full fleet according to WIKIINT, and are likely to drop to 100 odd, or possibly only 60 under current plans. Similarly, the article lists the Italian total fleet strength of 227 aircraft, and not the front line strength.

So, this article is innacurate as it is comparing our front line available strength against the total strength of other nations. A much more sensible (and far less printworthy) article would have compared like for like which would show very different stats.

I'm well aware that I could be wrong here, but my understanding on FE@R is that until about 2015, we're looking at approximately 40-45 GR4 in the FE@R calculations, but dropping significantly once HERRICK is over. I'm not sure what FE@R Typhoon is calculated at, but think I saw 16 here for overseas trips, plus the UK Air Defence & FI commitments, which take it up to around 70 front line aircraft.

Will publicly apologise and eat my salty blue beret if I'm wrong though