PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HIV & CAA Class 1 Medical
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2010, 06:56
ANAV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks moo1982. It has been a long and frustrating journey to get this through the authority but persevere, as it is definitely worth the wait. I'm already commercially qualified and now training as an instructor.

As for information on ARVs, you'll need to interrogate your local aviation authority website as they may (or may not) publish which ones they deem to be acceptable in the aviation environment. Or, as you say, you can call them. I doubt an AME would know unless he/she has had an HIV + class 1 applicant and is aware of the CAA's position on HIV infection.

See my post on 17 July 2010 as I have listed the meds I am on that are deemed acceptable by the NZ CAA. I'd imagine the acceptance of these would be fairly universal. My one piece of advice if you are starting on meds; avoid efavirenze if you can! This is often the first line of treatment but there are alternatives so you should definitely check it out with the CAA first before starting or you could end up delaying a successful class 1 assessment.

Good luck!