PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 18th Nov 2010, 13:34
Variable Load

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Max, that's a fair summation of the current situation. The vespel spline failure, as opposed to a pump seizure, would cause the MGB indicated pressure to fall from 60ish to something "above" 5psi. The pumps are sitting in a "parallel" type circuit, but without check valves.

The check valves were fitted and then removed due to the knock on complications for input module scavenging. Improper scavenging then leads to a build up of oil and then overheating, etc.

So my understanding is that there are plans to improve the scavenging situation in an oil pump fail scenario, which will then enable refitting of the check valves. Net effect will be a much less dramatic fall in oil pressure due to a non-seized but failed MGB oil pump.

In addition to this 'long term enhancement', there are more immediate modifications that will indicate to the pilot if a MGB oil pump has failed, this utilising a "vacuum" sensor in each of the scavenge lines.

I have never perceived any of the RFM changes or modifications as a "watering down" of procedures or safety. They have been robust responses by Sikorsky in the light of experience - something I much prefer compared to the ECF standard response of "it is not a problem" (you have to say that with a strong French accent!). Sure, with hindsight anybody can say "surely you saw that coming", but that's the easiest game in town to play.

MY personal stance in this offshore game is to be open minded and be critical. Always ask why? Don't believe the marketing crap. Always drive for better.

But when challenged by b*llsh*t I will try and play "devil's advocate", because that's how the truth is obtained. The trouble is it's easier to be a doubter than to find the truth. I can start a rumor tomorrow that is complete boll"cks, but it falls within peoples perceptions, it will then become the truth. Just look at snopes.com to see how much crap is out there that people are willing to believe in. Your inbox is probably full of it?

I believe this is what differentiates a professional from the crowd. He makes is own mind up, without bias, always keeps an open mind and is willing to accept his original stance may be wrong.

Long may we continue to have professionals in this industry, rather than those that think that whatever they are currently strapped to is perfect! The perfect helicopter does not (yet!) exist.