PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2010, 19:14
tow1709

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fighter leaders school Tangmere

Allan125, I have to agree you are right.

DB was not liberated until 16th April (assuming Wiki has got it right) and PB's course would have ended the day before if it was exactly 7 weeks long.

JEJ also was not an instructor there, although DB did later become the CO of this school.

Knowing PB as I do, he would not name-drop just for effect. I can only suggest that maybe he was mistaken about the start date and exact duration of the course, and/or whom he met there - remember he originally wrote these notes up in the early nineties, nearly fifty years after the event, although his memory seems to be excellent about most other stuff. I will ask next time I see him - probably just after Christmas.

PB did meet DB at some point though, because I asked him what sort of a chap he (DB) was. All PB would say was that DB was a pleasant enough bloke but who obviously knew he was someone who was a bit special.

As we shall see in one of the three or four extracts still to come, it would not have been the only time PB was mistaken about the identity of someone.

I have edited PB's original words to make them more generic!
Glad you are enjoying the story. ==TOW

Last edited by tow1709; 18th Nov 2010 at 19:18. Reason: To advise of editing of earlier post.