PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2010, 13:27
allan125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JEJ & DB at the FLS Tangmere Mar-May '45?

I have enjoyed Peter Brett's story - thanks tow - but find this piece a bit too incredible

"The 'instructors' were all veteran fighter pilots, most of them had fought in the 'Battle of Britain' and there were some famous names: among them 'Johnnie' Johnson and Douglas Bader"

On a 7 week course that Peter Brett started on 4 March '45 we find JEJ at B.90 Petit Brogel/Belgium as WingCo Flying of 127 RCAF Wing, moving by the end of the month to a Group Captain post as CO of 125 Wing, and Douglas Bader banged up in Colditz until it was liberated by the americans on 16 April.

At the end of the course JEJ was at B.118 Celle in Germany, and nowhere near to Tangmere to be able to speak to Peter the day following the party.

You don't have to take my written word for it as both facts are well documented in Wing Leader and Reach for the Sky.

"The feeling of "being there" is unique" - but were JEJ and DB there at the same time as Peter, I don't think so!

Do I now stand back and await the flak at querying something in an otherwise excellent account!?

Allan