PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2010, 21:49
Bristol_Traveller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every time I fly, I hear reasons why BRS didn't work out, and none of them are down to absolute passenger numbers.

On my list, as heard from crew and other associated people (although I appreciate these rumours recycle themselves)
  • BusinessFirst loads poor - not enough pax
  • BusinessFirst yields were poor - too many pax not paying full fare, or on upgrades
  • Economy yields were poor (too many seats going at S and L fares)
  • Winter passenger numbers were too light, and CO don't like running partial or seasonal schedules
  • No cargo opportunities because of the runway length at BRS
  • Softest cut to make in order to free a 757 for an additional LHR rotation
  • Facilities at BRS (no airbridges - a number of crews have commented on this)

I must admit, I suspect that BFS, EDI, GLA survive because the alternative airports for the States are inconvenient. BRS really suffers a perception problem - it feels faster from North Bristol to bomb down the M4 to LHR than tootle down the Portway and A38 to BRS.

I don't have much short-term expectation of any scheduled long-haul from BRS. I think the route team would get better results concentrating on a set of (affordable) hub connections, which give access to a selection of carriers and destinations.

Just my 2p-worth.