PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any experiences of lens replacement (cataract or otherwise)?
Old 14th Nov 2010, 11:24
orionsbelt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had both eyes done in 1997 due to cataracts. This enabled me to upgrade to a CAA class 1 medical. However things can go wrong and within 2 months of the operation on the left eye it reacted in that the rear of the lens sack started to thicken such that I was seeing multiple PAPis at night and multiple defocused images in my peripheral vision. As the work had been done by my companies private health insurance my eye surgeon used a Laser system to blast a hole in the rear of the eye sack. This fixed the problem and I flew as CPL/FI until I retired in 2008. My AME was sympathetic and supportive. Not sure what the reaction would have been if I had wanted to do Public Transport Operations.
Additionally I have been using vari focal glasses ever since 1980 and continued to use them after the operations.

Now however I have a problem with the left eye in that the sack seems to have distorted and the centre of focus is off to the left. Its not a major issue but its makes things difficult during eye test in that we cant get a good crisp focus.

So suggest you chat to CAA eye experts as well as your eye surgeon and understand the risks and the long term effects.