PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Banking in Dubai
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2010, 06:13
nolimitholdem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banking in Dubai, like most things, works not too badly - unless you have to actually deal with another human being. Then it falls apart as most "service" employees here are complete oxygen thieves.

That said, expect much frustration in the early stages as some interaction with humanoids is unavoidable, but as you get your systems in place and can do most all routine transactions yourself online, it eases. ("If you want something done...")

All of the bank "brands" here are just that, ME franchises of their international parent company. Do NOT have great expectations based on the familiar logos and brochures, you will only be disappointed.

I've used HSBC and Lloyds, I dumped Lloyds after they put a minimum account balance requirement in place (I keep zero money in Dubai beyond what I need to buy gas and groceries, and spend nothing here other than on those two items.) HSBC has the most ATM's and decent online banking other than the odd random outage which afflicts all services here. It's basically fee-free for daily banking for EK pilots, thus fulfills my very low expectations. For larger wire transfers there is a decent UK outfit that gives a small rate break through EPC.

For anything more complicated than paying your Etisalat bill, (ie mortgage, investments) I don't use ANY ME-based bank.

Good luck.