PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2010, 15:38
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL GOOD MEN AND TRUE TO COME TO THE AID OF THE PARTY.
(A typing exercise when I was learning touch typing, but apt)

The number of contributions is reducing daily, so could I ask the following for info, pics or whatever,
FROM. --
Old Hairy,
Padhist.
Ormside,
Farell.
Air1,
Ollie.
and any other bods who may have interesting information and facts , before it is too late.
A few questions also help to keep this thread extant. I am sure the other vets on this thread are happy to answer any questions and help keep it going.
Whilst on the subject , I have not heard from Motorola , the son of a hurricane pilot who tried to E.M me, ,so here is a secondary email address of mine which he may use [email protected] .
Fredjhh is posting me his Halifax pilots notes, from which I hope to obtain some interesting scans,

My stay at Diedeldsdorf was quite pleasant but short and was followed by posting to Wunstorf, to take charge of a section of the large stores.
My first surprise was the friendliness of the civilian staff , when my original impression of the Germans was completely changed. In fact, every morning at eight A.M when they disembarked from the R.A.F ‘three tonners’ men , women, and youngsters congregated, and shook hands with every one present.
This was followed by a search for ‘tab ends’ where each person had his or her own patch.There were no arguments or squabling. And each tab end placed carefully in a tin box, and later sold on the black market. I must admit I had expected , resistance groups, opposition, and extreme danger. Hence the fully loaded Smith and Wesson in my inside pocket. How mistaken I was, in fact I formed the opinion that the ordinary ’Man in the street’ was more like the British than any other nationality. In my stores they worked hard and were completely reliable. The only thing they were sorry about was that we had not joined them to fight the Russians.

I intended to next tell the story about a certain warrant officer, who possibly prevented the officer I/c stores from court martial, but Mrs Nemo has other ideas, so will try again tomorrow.