PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR - The end of UK T&E as we know it?
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2010, 22:07
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FSTA is sheduled to arrive at BCE during early 2011 to conduct AAR trials. As for the A400M; I somehow doubt that it will ever be seen at BCE; hence, beyond 2011, I forsee that all T&E work will be conducted from Brize Norton. The ATEC (read LTPA) will still exist; however, it will be somewhat of a disjointed affair. Boscombe (QinetiQ) will become even more expensive to maintain i.e. Heavy Aircraft R&D trials (on the BAC 1-11 and the Andover), plus, ETPS and RWTES, will become the sole operators at BCE.

I forsee that Experimental Test Pilots will become 'single type' test pilots and that each operational squadron (at Brize or Waddington) will have one, or more TPs, to complement each squadron. Hence, there will be no requirement for the existing TPs to remain current on various types. This will innevitably have a 'knock-on' effect within ETPS, inasmuch that the RAF will no longer require Experimental Test Pilots.

QinetiQ will keep their own 'pool' of Staff Pilots to conduct routine R&D flying laboratory work on it's small fleet of 1-11s and Andovers.

Meanwhile, the 'single type' TPs will be constantly on the go; commuting between Brize/Waddington to Boscombe in order to liase between Project Managers and the like. A less than ideal situation; however, the savings would be astronomical (in not having to keep TPs multiple-type current). The 'bean counters' will, eventually, win; at the expense of delayed projects, UORs etc.

As for QinetiQ... the Company must move forward; or disintegrate! Let's not give QinetiQ a bashing; QinetiQ emmerged from the ashes of DERA; the privatisation of a joint Civil/Military organisation that shifted the financial balance of that of the MOD to the private sector i.e. from the taxpayer. I'm not entirely sure that it's been a success; probably not!

Quite how the (fragmented) future of Military T&E will be managed; I'm not sure. It's my hope that there will be 'lessons learned' from the disbandment of FJTS... perhaps not!

That's my 'two-penneth'... comments invited.

TCF