PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Training in Brazil
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2010, 00:55
flyingswiss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew and took tests under JAA and FAA, the training syllabus is a lot different, the idea of training is a lot different too. In Europe it`s mostly knowledge based, you really fly little and do 1/3 of most performance maneuvers there are for single engine and multi engines, in the US training is done the same way it was in WWI, a single engine CPL is done the same way, and some maneuvers you have to perform are based on combat situations (eights on pylons). Knowledge in the US is what you need to fly and nothing more, in Europe you need to know a bunch of crap you will never need.

a JAR PPL is up to the country you take it in, even the requirements for a frozen ATPL are a lot different depending on the country. As far as doing a conversion from a FAA license, the actual JAR regulation only requires you to take 12 of the 14 written subjects and there is no minimum solo PIC time like in the UK, this is the base then every country does what they want, some just follow the UK system. Even the medical, you get a JAR FCL, but the test and requirements are a lot different depending on the country you take it.
I did my JAR training under the airforce and it was tailored to this type of needs and was really similar to what I learned later on under FAA.

FAA is a fair system, they have a PTS, while in Europe and especially Brazil all the rides are subjective.

To fail a ck ride in Europe needs a talent, in the ride you will do the same flight you did 20 times in the training, so if you got signed up and you failed then it`s your CFIs fault.

In Brazil you don`t get tested on things because most of the ck airmans them self can`t do them. I know somebody that had an emergency on a CP ME IR ride out of Juiz de Fora, and the Ck airman was not able to handle it and the CFI had to jump up front in the plane and save everybody on board, was summer, single engine and the SE absolute ceiling was just 1000` over airport elevation...it ended up with an emergency landing.

In the US, everything can happen, the PTS lets the ck airman to pick a task out of the common.

One thing I really like about training in the US is the emphasis on training emergencies.

We own a Seneca II, what insurance company in Brazil allows a 220 TT pilot to act PIC? please tell me so that I can get a quote since they asked me to have 50 hours on type or a PLA? you said it`s a company what about RBHA 135 minimums? do you meet them with 220, or are you one of those pilots that are flying outside the rules and the operators takes this as advantage to pay you peanuts?

I`m sure there is jobs, if you work for cruzerios or even for free.

What flight school did you went to in Brazil?

abraco