PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Training in Brazil
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2010, 01:05
flyingswiss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A CPL+CFI is cheaper in Brazil then in the US, you won`t have the same amount of hours, but if you are looking to work as a CFI it does not really matter if you have 50-80 more hours.

The training in Brazil is poor as far as aeronautical knowledge (every school does what they want and there is no control by ANAC on the training material and here you may have problems with English, since not many places have English teachers for gorundschool) and the CFI training does not teach you much to improve your CPL knowledge. The IFR flying in the CPL is made of about 10 approaches (and maybe 20 in a 25 years old ATC simulaor), in the US you can do several approaches in one flight, in Brazil NO (and most of the time you will have to fly a X-country to find something different then a NDB)!, most of the time you will be on a 10 DME course reversal or holding while ATC lets the 3rd ATR land straight in ahead of you. I have been to 4 schools and none of them allow intentional IMC flying or let you take off below mins even if there is radar.

The nice thing is that there are a lot of tailwheel planes still used, which will improve your stick and rudder.

Multi Engine training is pretty poor too, some schools write down the hours required but in the reality you only do 7-8 (I think the min is 15), I won`t mention any names but it`s a pretty big school in the Rio area. VMC??? never saw one, single engine with the engine OFF not a Zero thrust (there is a huge difference) never saw one, most planes here don`t have accumulators and I guess the MEIs are not trained well enough to use a starter in flight without breaking it.

English speaking CFIs? you won`t find many because they are probably working for an airline, the ones in Marcia (EDP and QNE) have all been picked up by WebJet.
In Juiz the Fora MG there are 3 of them. ACdoB in Jacrepagua has only one (none that fly the twin) and the Acro CFI also speaks English there.

Ground school?? I went to SkyLab, these peoples are crazy, 3 days to learn how to use an E6B??? a week about Weight and balance (what about one day of it but then every time you fly you actually do it)??? weather was like a month of class????? Some teacher even tell you wrong things, I had a 737 capt telling me that DA and DH are the same thing in term of numbers????

If you want my advice stay in the US! go to a 141 school, get everything done in 8-10 months (CPL ME SE IR CFI), start teaching in the US and then if you still want to go to Brazil go and convert.

Last edited by flyingswiss; 18th Oct 2010 at 01:23.