PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - And the airmanship award goes to, the pilot of (LY AGS)
Old 11th Oct 2010, 22:14
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4) Power at 2500 RPM with speed in the yellow arc!
I don't know what engine is up front, but most engines I know 2500 is inside or at the top of the green arc, and redline is 2700. So no problem.

Also, in foggy conditions like this there's normally no turbulence. So what's wrong with speed in the yellow arc?

Furthermore, 2500 rpm on a 180 HP engine, giving you 110 knots. Sounds about right to me for a level flight, or maybe even on the low side. He was not in a significant accellerating dive like a spiral dive. He might have been in a power-off dive, with power restored to normal just after pulling out, and the VSI just lagging behind a bit. But at least this suggests that everything is under control.

Honestly, you would need at least a readout of a g-meter and a readout of a turn coordinator (plus maybe the slip ball) to support your statement that something really dangerous, like a spiral dive, is going on. For all I know he could simply just have pulled out of a balanced, descending, power-off turn.

And trust me, in a spiral dive (or spin for that matter) the forces are all over the place making it extremely difficult to hold a camera, let alone steady enough to take a reasonably sharp picture like this.