PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 9th Oct 2010, 15:02
MissM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I was in your situation I would consider my personal situation, the general state of my health, the deleterious effects of the strain caused by the events at my place of work during the last couple of years, and the consequent effects of all this on the people closest to me.
My health is excellent, thank you. My personal situation is fine too.

If I was in your situation I would also consider the fact that the leadership of the trade union that I had so passionately supported, and to which I had faithfully contributed to every month, had clearly not acted in my best interests.
BASSA are trying their very best to protect our interests including our terms and conditions. As an outside I can understand if this is difficult to acknowledge and understand.

If I was in your situation I would ask the leadership of that union why, after more than a year and a half of dealing with my employer, it had not managed to reach any sort of equable solution to its original grievance.
Blame it on the union. Surely our management could never be responsible for not reaching an agreement with us.

If I was in your situation I would further ask the leadership of my union just why it made braggart declarations that misled its members. The return of staff travel privileges "within five minutes" is but one of those foolish assertions.
Be rest assured that ST will be returned sooner or later. Personally I don't need it but many of our commuting crew do. Surprisingly there was a huge amount of commuters on strike which would indicate that the threat of removal of ST which BA made did not work. It would, on the other hand, indicate that they are worried about their careers.

If I was in your situation I would ask myself just what future I have with an employer who has cleverly side-stepped my trade union, and its inept leadership, at every turn and has made a considered decision to push on with its business plan without further reference to diehard strikers and dissenters.
As long as BA are in dispute with us there will never be any peace. It should also be in WW's best and personal interest to sort it out before he can actually move on to become the leader of IAG.

If I was in your situation, having taken all of the above into consideration, I would ask myself if it would be worth my while to risk being shunted into a dead-end position with my employer (do you really want to stay as a purser until SOSR, compulsory redundancy or retirement catch up with you?)
Strangely SOSR is something which has been rumoured for a very long time and has yet not been issued. Last time this rumour circulated was back in May during the strike. Personally I don't think they will ever issue it because otherwise it would have been.

If I was in your situation, and having been let down by my bumbling and incompetent union branch secretary and my self-serving union representatives, I would consider my job-related assets and skills and seek more congenial employment.

There is a whole world and possibly a better life outside British Airways' world-wide fleet, you know. No getting out of the country every week or so to far-flung and (possibly) exotic places, and no strutting and preening on airport concourses so that all and sundry can see you in your BA uniform, that much is true, but meaningful and satisfying work nevertheless that would benefit both you and the community at large.
I don't feel let down by my union. Of course there's a world outside BA but what if you happen to like your job? Has that ever crossed your mind?

so what? Those who live by the pen must be prepared to . . .
So what? Maybe you don't understand but perhaps it was given to you in confidence, something which you don't seem to appreciate, as I never expected you to tattle it all over a public forum. Thanks a lot. I realise I never should have given it to you, but hey, we all make mistakes.