PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Recruiting now
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2010, 11:27
bluepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just thought I would add a little history here.

Historically Jet2 used to employ contractors during the summer months to cover the extra capacity needed. This in the past has proved to be an unreliable source of pilots,
1. due to the variable quality of the contract pilots whos knowlege or willingness to learn Jet2 sops is suspect, this has caused CRM problems in the past.
2. Because of the nature of the contract not all contractors were "company orientated" when carrying out duties.
3. The number of contractors available at the start of a season is not guaranteed.

By offering 70% permanent employee contracts (that includes loss of licence cover , pension schemes etc) jet2 has far more contol over the summer workforce and the quality of the operation is vastly improved due to the pilots being trained fully to Jet2 SOPs. All the time Jet2 continues to grow then these contracts will mature into 100% full time (core pilot) contracts. The gamble is when the Jet2 expansion slows those on the 70% contract then will be stuck with it until natural wastage or further expansion happens.

Thomas Cook have for years offered summer commands and then taken on cadets who have to pay for their rating then work for the summer with no guarantee of future employment. Although the 70% contact is not ideal at least it is permanant employment!

So before this turns into a complete slagging match of how "ethical" Jet2 are, would you like to consider that the company is attempting to control quality as well as costs in a constructive fashion? Personally I would like to work for a company that has control of its long term costs, continues to expand and remains profitable despite the downturn! That secures my future and everyone elses at Jet2.

Last edited by bluepilot; 9th Oct 2010 at 11:43.