PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any recruitment likely at Easy?
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2010, 11:14
Coffin Corner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kick the tires
You'll have to explain this one to me, easyjet promote 160+ internal SFO's, employ a further 300 new cadet pilots and promote 20 training captains - but this does nothing to 'get the job market going again'!

You must have some logic behind your statement - can you share it?
I would have thought it was blindingly obvious. Think of the airline industry as a complete entity, then think of EJ as a smaller entity. What is happening inside EJ is that the bubble (pilots) is expanding, but they are just sat there, on their own, as a single entity doing whatever they want, it has no effect on the rest of the industry when you talk pilot recruitment. The reason is simple, they are taking on cadets "off the street" (not literally), their recruitment drive has no effect on experienced pilots, none whatsoever. This means the industry is still as stagnant as it was before they started.
I would have loved to move across to EJ, and probably make a career there, but to be honest I don't think I want to work there now. They are starting to make Ryanair look attractive.

Originally Posted by Wee Weasley Welshman
It is a really big change to the industry which many have not yet fully appreciated. The time honoured path, Air Work> small TurboProp> Larger T/P/Command/Small Jet> Large jet/Large Airline is pretty much dead because at the larger airline stage the only hiring is through cadet schemes/SSTR.

300 new jobs at one large UK airline used to mean 300 new jobs one rung down the ladder and one rung further down from that at other UK airlines or flying businesses. Lots of promotions, lots of happy people, lots of opportunities.

Not really the case any more

WW

So are your views now changing from telling wannabes on the wannabe forum that it'll be years before they get a look in to a view that these very people are the only ones who are going to get on in the industry? Surely you must now get in there and tell them all to train as fast as they can, right now, because they have more chance of progressing than an experienced pilot, because lets face it, that is exactly what is happening.