PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nick Xenophon - The most important person in the future of Australian Aviation
Old 8th Oct 2010, 04:49
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propjet88

The devil is in the detail. In other words it is up to the discretion of the administrator.

(d) Credit Toward Flight Hours- The Administrator may allow specific academic training courses, beyond those required under subsection (b)(2), to be credited toward the total flight hours required under subsection (c). The Administrator may allow such credit based on a determination by the Administrator that allowing a pilot to take specific academic training courses will enhance safety more than requiring the pilot to fully comply with the flight hours requirement.
The fact is that all the cadet courses available in Australia only meet the standard of “b2”. To be granted the credits one “may” be entitled to in para “d”, from what I have been able to find out, one would have to do a degree that is directly related to aviation safety. Even with the maximum credits the hours required will still be from my understanding, in the order of 800-1000 hours.

When reading any legislation, one must understand the intent of that legislation. In the case of the US Congress Bill (HR)5900, its intent was to enhance aviation safety by stopping airlines placing non ATPL holders, i.e. inexperienced pilots, in the right hand seats of airliners and at the same time improve training standards of pilots. To think pilot recruitment in the US will be what it was like prior to the passing of (HR)5900 would be a huge mistake, evidenced by the amount of lobbing by US airlines to stop this bill passing Congress.