PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nick Xenophon - The most important person in the future of Australian Aviation
Old 6th Oct 2010, 08:33
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"academic credit" to reduce the 1500 hours.
Oh goodness please don't tell me someone is going to get on the aviation degree banwagon to replace lessons learned on the job. It doesn't stack up not now nor in one million years time. The two are completely unrelated. One is academia the other is experience.

Put simply, you can do something badly 1500 times. It smacks of the appearance of safety for the amusement of the masses, not unlike other arbitrary policies foisted upon us.
Absolutely knocks the nail on the head. Not only do you need a few thousand hours but you need to have significant experience in the industry out in the on the job learning the ropes and doing your apprentiship.

virture of determination, hard work, persistance bordering on obsession, and sometimes with a not insignificant measure of luck! Believe me I know.
Krusty, these are the types of people I'd like sitting next to me. Unfortunately this will all be gone with Cadetships that put people into the RHS of a jet.

Some of the real issues highted by this tragedy that need to be addressed are associated with fatigue (due in part to pilots commuting and in part to useless, prescriptive, hours based fatigue regs)
Inconvenient truths indeed. I bet my bottom dollar that for all the analysis this expensive fatigue issue will be overlooked. I suspect wages and conditions may also be over looked as well.

The big problem is that we have people at the very top of our industry like Allan Joyce and Bruce Buchanan that see everything only in short term dollar quantities. Band aid solutions and bush fire tactics every where you go. Much better off running a Mac Donalds. We need serious people running airlines not people who's long term plan is to plan for the short term.

The thread is getting interesting.