PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aero Engineering Degrees / University pilot courses (Merged)
Old 5th Oct 2010, 13:48
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
A lot of universities now offer Foundations of Engineering years for students with the wrong, but okay A-levels (or the right A-levels, but not quite good enough grades), doing basically a year of maths, physics and engineering science with a minimum pass (50% I think normally) to then gain entrance into the first year of engineering degrees.

I wonder if we continue to go down the road we have, with "basketweaving" A-levels like "Critical Thinking", and many maths A-level syllabi now having dropped calculus (which I personally find incredible to the point of criminality) that a majority of new engineering students will need the foundations year, as well as the final MEng year for those shooting for CEng.

The problem is that will then mean 5 years out of school before they ever start being trained by an industry grown-up. This is arguably much too long.

I actually think that Jock's last point is spot on - the Universities (or maybe ECUK or the RAeS) should start setting their own degree entry examination - do away with A-levels, or make it an "as well" as Oxford do. The kids are no more stupid than we were, and if there is a target to educate to, the schools will start teaching to it.

G