PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas DC4 unusual attitude incident 55 years ago?
Old 4th Oct 2010, 00:21
Norman Wells

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Centaurus & HulaBula,

It seems that my memory is not as good as I thought it was. The following from one of my colleagues;

"I remember the Forgie Smith incident as I lobbed into Colombo in a Super Connie while the DC-4 (Monkey Carrier) was there.

I spun the prop as it had sheared from any connections. Another case where sitting on your hands in an emergency is recommended"

During the production of the Salk Vaccine in the late 1950's and early 1960's, both the L1049's and the DC-4's were used to freight cages of Rhesus monkeys to Melbourne. In those humid conditions the stench from those 70/80 cages (where the monkeys were doing unspeakable things) was indescribable. It permeated clothes and body.

On the L1049, the toilet was outside the flight deck and in the main cabin. Prior to T/O tthe Flight Engineers would put masking tape around the edge of the crew door in an attempt to contain the smell to the cabin. We would then try to hang on as long as possible so as not to break the rather inefective seal.

I am still trying to follow up, through my colleagues, some further information about both the incident and Jack Thomas and will pass it on when successful.

With regards.