PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adopt a Military Grave
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2010, 19:29
PFR
Gamekeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

What a wonderful idea. I have an uncle buried at Embermenil in France, I've managed to visit the grave once when living in France.
If any ppruners are passing or even live close - put a poppy or flower on the grave for our family come November 9th.
I shall be finding a grave or two locally to tend. PFR.

He was a Navigator with 50 Sqn and was killed on the night of the 25th/26th Feb 1944 outbound on a raid to Augsburg having taken-off from Skellingthorpe at 18:37 in Lancaster MK I LL791, coded VN-O. They were picked up by night fighters, crashing near Embermenil, 25 miles east-south-east of Nancy. Sgt Gilson was the only member of the crew killed, although managing to leave the a/c he was found by local people, chute deployed, but having died. The other members of the crew successfully parachuted to safety. He had flown 14 sorties to that date.

[IMG][/IMG]

EMBERMENIL COMMUNAL CEMETERY
France

Embermenil is a small village 40 kilometres east-south-east of Nancy and some 15 kilometres east-north-east of Luneville, a town on the road from Paris to Sarrebourg. The communal cemetery is at the south-western end of the village on the road to Laneuville-aux-Bois. The British grave is near the middle of the rear wall