PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSR-2 (Merged a few times)
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2002, 08:39
CamelPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was with 'Bee' Beamont at the signing of our TSR2 prints for the PPRuNe Fund (we still have plenty if anyone wants one - £35 inc p&p) in April of last year. I had the opportunity to discuss the TSR2 with Bee and his anger at the project being cancelled, though controlled, was discernible. He could never understand it. When I asked him what its potential was, where it would be today, if it had been completed he said "it would be still be operational and there would never have been a need for Tornado at all". I also asked him what speed it would have achieved if the trials had continued on and he quickly said "mach 2.35".

I was accompanied by New Bloke in a hotel in Wilton, near Salisbury, for the signing, and we were both in awe of this man so simply called 'Bee' - but we also knew that we were in the prescence of one of the greatest aviators this country had.

As BEAgs says it was a gentleman whose name I hardly like to utter who sold TSR2 down the river. What a terrible thing to have happened.

BEAgs. I thought it was Callaghan, Jenkins and Healy. They are the ones Bee like to hate most anyway.

Btw, our prints of TSR2 were the last prints that Bee ever signed.

Last edited by CamelPilot; 13th Aug 2002 at 09:58.