PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2010, 22:44
just an observer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in the airline industry staff travel was a privilege and not a right. If the case goes against BA I would think that many airlines around the world will have to re-think their staff privileges.
Why? IF the case goes against BA, staff travel will be no more contractual, no more a right, than it is now. And it isn't contractual. I don't think anyone here argues that it is, certainly not me. Nor Unite, I'd assume.

Presumably all the court case will determine is

1. Whether the withdrawal of a discretionary privilege, normally available to all staff, from those who went on strike, is a punishment for striking, and

2. whether an employer bound by UK law has the right to punish employees for going on a legal strike.

In this particular case the means of punishment is staff travel, but it could be anything, depending on the employer concerned. It's the principle of punishment for striking, not the method, that counts.

Other airlines around the world aren't bound by UK law anyway.

BA's lawyers haven't shot themselves in the foot yet, so they must reckon they have a good case, but it will still be interesting.

Last edited by just an observer; 22nd Sep 2010 at 23:00.