PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2010, 23:00
rmventuri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on forming up logistics

Would be interested to hear how the stream formed up before heading towards the enemy coast. Would it be reasonable to assume that two heavies (halifax MkII’s in this case) taking off one after the other within a few minutes remain in relative close proximity while forming up and remain so during the out bound leg? Or did the forming up technique basically maneuver aircraft around so there is no relationship to take off order? I understand that once formed up separation was maintained so during most of the route you were not in visual proximity to the nearest aircraft in the stream - at least until converging on the target. The details of this particular case is Dec 3/4 1943 from Snaith. The two aircraft took off in good weather around midnight - three minutes apart - with little or no moonlight (Leipzig raid). According to the ORB weather was “clear across the North Sea to East side of Zuider Zee and then cloudy becoming 9/10ths thin cloud in the target area – tops 8-10,000 ft. Wind light variable becoming N.E. 5-10 mph.”

Note; with the contribution and aid of pbeach have now identified the entire crew in the photo I posted #769 pg. 39 - I went back and corrected the post in case any other family members find this site. Turns out Doug was not in this photo.