PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A lot of pilots leaving the forums
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2010, 22:15
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“Maybe there really is a strong economic factor, but why isn't PPRuNe flooded with postings from homebuilders flying their 200kt machines on 10 litres/hr? They do have their forums but from what I recall there is almost nobody on there.”

Most of the home built owners have followed a relatively set sequence. This is by no means true of all, but it is true of well over 50%. It starts out with a PPL, moves almost immediately to a share (or total ownership), probably in an IFR capable “4 seat” aircraft. An IMCR is gained and used for UK touring, with the perception that most flights require IFR and an enthusiasm to log IFR. European touring is then undertaken in greater amounts. IMCR not valid in Europe so a different approach is needed. VFR is “rediscovered” as extensive European trips are undertaken with sufficient experience and equipment to fly down to VFR minima. Realisation dawns that the same approach can be used in the UK. Homebuilt aircraft then appear attractive as operating from a strip with self maintenance (LAA inspected) removes vast cost and 90% of the hassle, as well as introducing a degree of social camaraderie. This journey takes a long time. I started out in Gliding from 1984 to 91, owned a variety of 4 seat IFR machines alongside shares in various LAA machines and finally committed to the LAA solution alone 5 years ago. More than 50% of the pilots at my strip followed a similar path, but most are older than me and not great computer uses (I have a degree in it).

One also has to understand that some people on here have no clue about LAA type flying and spout utter rubbish in huge quantities. This is not a compatible environment for LAA pliots unless you have a thick skin, or just don’t care, but if you stick at it can be fun. I have taken many forum members up in the MCR and most have found it huge fun. There is now a series of fly ins organised every year aimed at getting forum members to fly in and go for rides in each others aircraft. This is done mostly on Flyer as it has a fly in section. The next one is in October;

FLYER Forums • View topic - Forum Fly in October

Rod1