PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Astana
Thread: Air Astana
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2010, 17:16
alexb757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Astana & Agencies

I have no intimate knowledge of the two's different contracts re pay and time off.

However, knowing a little about agencies, their reputations (particularly when things go wrong; support and all that stuff) and different types of rotations, I can give you this.

Parc is the better of the two, if you get an offer from them. Generally speaking they are probably the best of all the agencies. I have worked with a variety of crew members who have worked for Parc in the past and they all have good things to say about them. Also, a TRI/TRE friend who actually works for AA says go with Parc as AA seems to "prefer" them. Make what you will of that..................

On rotations. When I used to do ACMI cargo globally, we had a 6-2 rotation - 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Depending where you live, this may be good, bad or indifferent. The important part for commuting contracts is that the travel time is on THEIR time, not yours, so the 14 or 12 days off is hard days off with no travel involved, otherwise, it's not really a day off.

One thing I have observed recently among the contract/agency world is many foreign airlines are beginning to offer better time off. AA never used to do commuting contracts - now they do. Also, there are different variations of the theme. 1 month on, 1 month off or 8 weeks on, 3 off. Sometimes you can negotiate this, other times not. The point is that airlines are finding it increasingly difficult to attract the "right" people, they have to make concessions and give an incentive. They are beginning to do that, especially the Chinese and the Indians. Expect to see more rotational contracts in the future, especially in these developing countries.

So, in answer to your question, it depends what your personal circumstances are as to which you would find more attractive. If the pay is the same and the airline is the same, there should be no difference! Maybe you should ask Parc about those 12 days and see if you can get 'em to 14 and then go with Parc??!!

Finally, with yr handle of GSMini, I presume you are going for the A320 contract (not the 757/767)?.......................