PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS Aircraft Down In Dubai
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2010, 21:25
fesmokie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNS3Guppy,

Well said!! I agree 100% in what you wrote. I was in aviation for 27 years and a PFE for 23 years starting on the DC-6, and up thru most all 3 and 4 holers requireing an FE. I have been in one accident where a total hydraulic failure kept all 3 of us busy right up to the crash. I can't imagine what could have happened if it were only two crewmembers. Ive had to leave my seat for fire, loose animals, leaking chemicals, open cargo door and several other potentialy life threatening situations. I'm not saying that a third crewmember could have saved this unfortunate accident from happening but I do believe that taking out the third seat on big jets was a big mistake. One word you said "Workload" say's it all. When the sh*t hit's the fan and then it becomes multiple failures the workload becomes excessive and with one pilot flying the airplane and the other working with the FE it can very quickly become overwhelming for all. We see this in the Sim during re-current and initial training all the time. Complacency is also our worst enemy.

My Sincere condolences go out to these two Pilots and there families.