PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2010, 22:35
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearfoil

On further reflection and re-analysis of the BEA Interim Report No.2, I am now persuaded that 0210 cockpit effect messages were displayed solely as a result of the conflict between the ADIRUs which meant that data required for their updating was no longer valid or available. The modified graphic from Interim Report No.2 reproduced below tends to support that.

Which means that with ADM/ADIRU inputs from the 3 x pitots in disagreement, [F/CTL RUD TRV LIM FAULT] that the RTLU no longer had valid input and on reversion to Alternate Law was now locked. The Reactive Wind Shear fault [AUTO FLT REAC W/S DET FAULT] was displayed for a similar reason and would no longer be available at around 2,500 feet. In fact all the Cockpit Effect Messages timed at 0210 were all related to the same cause and advised of appropriate changes as they had no valid inputs.

Some of these messages do look like "information overload", but when considering that they could happen at any stage of the flight profile, it was deemed safer to display them rather than applying a filter.

So in summary the message displayed needs to be considered in the context of what triggered it, and I have now convinced myself that the RTLU WRN was not as a result of crew action.

EDIT:: The TCAS fault has been identified [by me] in the graphic, and is directly related to the other 0210 Cockpit Effect Messages.

mm43

Last edited by mm43; 7th Sep 2010 at 20:52. Reason: replaced graphic